Serve these apple fritters dusted in sugar or soaked in syrup, honey, hot jam … let us know how you served them!
How ever you choose to serve your apple fritters, let’s all make a pact never to forget this wonderfully simple recipe.
ingredients for apple fritters
100 grams (4 oz) flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, separated
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Sieve the flour and salt together into a mixing bowl
- Make a well and add the egg yolk and enough milk to make a thick batter
- Beat until smooth and add the remaing milk and oil
- Set aside for 30 minutes
- When you are ready to use the batter, whisk the egg white into stiff peaks and fold into the batter
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, put extra for dusting
- Fritter batter
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored and slied into 6mm (1/4 inch) rings
- caster sugar (fine white sugar) for dusting
- Heat the oil to 190C /375F.
- Add the cinnamon to the batter and dip in the apple rings.
- Shake off excess batter and carefully place into the hot oil.
- Turn them over as they cook.
- When golden, remove, drain on kitchen paper and dust with cinnamon sugar and drizzle with maple syrup or honey.