Next time you are wondering whether or not to add a pack of spaghetti O’s pasta to your kitchen inventory, simply imagine making this!
That is a plate of baked anellini with tomato and eggplant and doesn’t it look amazing! You can make this in a spring form pan if you have one.
baked anellini with tomato and eggplant – serves 4 – 6
- 1 large eggplant, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 pound anelli pasta, or other pasta to your taste
- 1 pound sausage
- 1/2 cup peas, cooked
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups tomato sauce
- Smear the eggplant slices with oil and grill until cooked through.
- Oil a one-quart souffle dish or similar vessel and arrange the cooked eggplant slices inside, leaving enough hanging over the side to fold over the pasta when the dish is full.
- Remove the casing from the sausage, break into bits and cook in a pan. Boil water and cook the pasta until it’s al dente.
- Drain the pasta and place into a bowl with the cooked sausage, and the rest of the ingredients, using as much tomato sauce as necessary to coat well. Reserve some of the sauce for later.
- Fill the dish with the pasta, then fold the eggplant slices over, covering the top of the pasta completely.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove and let it rest for at least 15 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter, sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese, and serve with the extra sauce.