Baked rice with zucchini makes a simple accompaniment to any summer meal, especially when zucchini are in season and in abundance.
This dish is also a great way to use up any leftover rice. You could of course, cook the rice especially for it. Arborio rice would be our rice of choice because it does create a more ‘solid’ and satisfying structure.
We have served our baked rice and zucchini as a side dish and even chilled, with a few pickles, cold meats and cheeses, as part of an antipasto.
This is a wonderfully adaptable dish for every time of the day and for any occasion. Add your favorite cheeses, herbs and other vegetables to make this dish your own.
Baked rice with zucchini
- 200 g cooked rice
- 3 medium zucchini sliced
- 40 g Parmesan cheese grated
- 50 mls milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 spring onion sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- fine sea salt
- In a frying pan over a medium heat, lightly fry the onions and zucchini in the olive oil with a some salt, for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the Parmesan and the milk. Add the boiled rice, sautéed courgettes, oregano and mix. Check the seasoning.
- Lightly oil a round, springform pan and spread the mixture evenly.Bake in the center of the oven at 180 C/360 F, for about 25 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Best served hot.