Use this universal basic bechamel sauce as a base for soups, sauces, gravies and flavor it in anyway you like. Oh, and of course, for baked pasta dishes like lasagne.
We do have the more traditional bechamel recipe for you too and recommend that you at least give it a go.
- Gluten free bechamel sauce
- Traditional bechamel sauce
- 2 oz (50 grams) butter
- 2 oz (50 grams) plain flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk (or half milk half water)
- 1 level tablespoon salt
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir quickly with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add add a little of the milk and beat until smooth.
- Continue in this way until all the milk is added.
- Bring to a very low simmer and cook for around 5 minutes, stirring frequently to stop the sauce catching on the bottom of the pan.