Black Truffle Crème: We find that many people are very curious about the humble truffle and have never had an opportunity to sample it. The first time we really had an opportunity to discover what the Italians do with their truffles for ourselves, was at a Truffle Picnic in Abruzzo with some very good friends!
It was quite staggering the amount of dishes being displayed at the picnic. Breads, baked egg dishes, salads, bruschetta, spreads and of course, Black Truffle Crème. We learned a great deal about the truffle from the experts that hunt for them. A Grand Day Out for sure.
Often when we are showcasing at Petty’s of Suntree, we choose to show you what we do with our black truffle and provide samples for you to experience the wonderful and unique flavour of black summer truffle.
Our particular black truffle come from the Molise region of Italy. Abruzzo is usually the region of Italy credited with raising great truffles but a little bird told us on a recent trip to Italy, that Molise often supplies Abruzzo with truffles because the Molise truffle is much more prolific!
Here is our recipe for Black Truffle Crème which is appears you cannot get enough of it. As a tip, don’t be tempted to use dried herbs for making dips or spreads that you intend in consume the same day. They don’t have time to infuse. Use fresh, fresh, fresh!
Ingredients for Black Truffle Crème
- ½ jar Crème of Tartufo Nero
- 8 oz Cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 oz Finely grated strong Cheddar cheese
- 2 oz finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, bruished and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, fine chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, roughly sliced
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- Put everything into a food processor until well combined and creamy.
- Place in a sterilised lidded container and refrigerate for up to 30 minutes before serving.
- Use as a dip (add Mayonnaise – optional), or as a sauce for fettuccine pasta.