Candied orange: Making candied orange peel is very easy but time consuming. However, when you are in the best place in the world for oranges, Florida, then it’s time to give this recipe a go. The whole process takes 3 days as you dip the orange peel in the syrup every day. This continued soaking in sugar will prevent spoilage and you will have preserved orange peel for dipping in chocolate, adding to cookie and cake recipes … It will really impress your friends and family!
Did you know:
National Candied Orange Day is on May 4th. Make a note in your diary!
Ingredients for every 1 orange you use:
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mls) water
- Wash the oranges and peel the zest from the orange, then slice it into thin strips.
- Place the peel in a pan of lightly salted water and bring to the boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain and pour the peels briefly into cold water to stop them cooking any more.
- Add the peels to a pan of unsalted water and bring them to a boil for 5 minutes again.
- Drain and rinse in cool water. Do this 2 more times: 1 salted bath, 3 unsalted baths.
- Set the peels aside to cool completely.
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. At this point, add the peel , reduce the heat to a very low simmer for 5 minutes. Be careful not to allow the syrup to turn to a caramel, so keep the heat as low as you can.
- Leave the peel in the pan and allow everything to cool overnight.
- Remove from the heat and allow the syrup to cool.
- Next day, bring the syrup with the peel to a boil again then reduce to a very low simmer for a further 5 minutes. Cool overnight again and repeat this same process once more (3 times in total). The peels should be flexible and translucent.
- When they are done, remove the peels from the syrup, drain and allow to dry completely.