There is something we have come to know over the years of making pasta. There are a whole host of different recipes for the pasta dough. Making pasta dough using tipo 00 and durum wheat flour is quite a revelation!
Dough for handmade, chunky pasta like cavatelli, gnocchiette sardi, trofie and even oriecchette, can be made lighter using a pasta dough using both Tipo 00 and durum wheat flour combined. Using only Tipo 00 flour and egg, results in a dough that is too soft. Using durum wheat flour results in a dough that is too tough. You may think that by adding egg to semolina dough will help but that’s not right either!
Here is a great vegan alternative to egg pasta for creating a pasta dough which is easily put together and that results in very nice pasta. Another up side is that it takes little time to cook.
Pasta dough using tipo 00 and durum wheat flour
- 125 grams Tipo 00 flour
- 125 grams Durum wheat flour
- 120 grams natural spring water like Zephyrhills
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours.
- Add the water and using a fork, begin to combine.
- Add the oil and continue combining until a dough begins to form.
- Empty the dough onto a clean and lightly floured work surface.
- Knead gently until you have a smooth, soft dough.
- Cover with seran wrap and leave at room temperature for up to 10 minutes before forming into cavatelli.
Why does this recipe for pasta dough require olive oil?
The addition of extra virgin olive oil may seem a little strange. However, when making pasta by hand, particular pasta shapes, there is a benefit from using a tiny drop of olive oil. It helps contribute to a good elasticity and aids the amalgamation of flours to produce a great pasta. You could experiment using some of our infused olive oils to add a little flavor and aroma.
We do not recommend you adding any more olive oil than the recipe calls for or for that matter, adding any olive oil to the cooking water. Too much oil with retard the cooking of the pasta, the result of which will not be pleasant at all!