Gluten free orange and yogurt muffins: You can often whip up a flavoured muffin from what you have languishing in the fridge.In this case it was a lone orange yogurt. We combined this with a little extra orange zest and juice to create our gluten free orange and yogurt muffin. And that is what we love the most about our muffin making … it’s simple.
In fact it’s so simple that some of our guests would sit at the breakfast table and watch me putting them together. Fresh from the oven, these gluten free muffins are an absolute delight.
TIP: You can use yogurt in place of milk.
Ingredients for 6 – 8 medium – large muffins
1 cup (8 oz / 240 grams) rice flour
- 1/2 cup (4 oz / 120 grams) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup (4 oz / 120 grams) tapioca flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 grams (1/2 teaspoon) Xanthan gum (don’t be tempted to add more)
- 1 tablespoon (0.5 oz / 15 grams) baking powder
- 3/4 cup (6 oz / 180 grams) sugar
1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 (60 ml) whole milk or yogurt. Add more if necessary, the important thing here is to reach the right consistency
- Zest of 2 medium oranges
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons pure orange extract
NOTE: If your consistency seems a little too runny, simply add a bit more flour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 345 F / 175 C.
- Prepare your muffin tray. We use foil or baking parchment because you can shape it better and it will help avoid spills.
- In a large mixing bowl add all of the DRY ingredients and stir it all with a large spoon to combine well.
- In a jug, measure the oil and then add the 2 eggs and vanilla extract then gently mix with a fork. There is no need to whip it.
- Pour the eggs and oil into the flour mix and stir with the spoon. The consistency will be a little thick.
- Add the fresh strawberries and don’t worry if you squash a few as you mix them into the batter.
- Add the milk a little at a time until the batter has reached a thick, dollopy consistency.
- Pour the batter into a jug for easier handling and fill each of the muffin cups.
- Place in the center of the oven for 17 minutes (the time will depend on your oven).
- Run a skewer through a muffin and when it comes out dry, your muffins are ready.
- Allow then to cool and serve them warm.