Grape jam: During the month of September, all over Italy people are picking grapes for making wine but not all of the grapes make it into a bottle of wine. Many are selected for the table or for making jam.It’s all hands on deck to get the grapes in and as you can see from the photograph below, all the big pots and pans are used in the making of grape jam. The only space for this was in the garden!
Some grapes are chosen for the table and there are a lot to choose from. The rest are made into the best homemade wine you will ever have the privilege of enjoying. Meanwhile, back at the jam, here is the simple recipe:
Ingredients for grape jam
- 1 part grapes
- 1 part water
- 1 part grape juice
- Remove the grapes from the stalk and wash them under some cool water.
- Place them into a large, heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Add the fluid and bring everything to a boil.
- Allow to simmer for up to one hour, carefully mashing the grapes to help them release their juices.
- The jam will be ready when the liquid had reduced by up to 3/4’s, has darkened in colour and become syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and separate the grapes from the jam using a sieve.
- Pour into sterilized jars, seal and store in a cool, dark area.