Eggplant antipasto: Ciao!! As promised to all you folks visiting The Farm, here is the recipe for that wonderful and very popular Eggplant Antipasto.
We cooked our eggplant antipasto using a George Forman which took a bit of time, but you can prepare your eggplant on the BBQ or even in the oven.
Serves 3 – 4
- 1.5 lb (700 grams) Eggplant, sliced ¼ inch lengthwise
- 1 – 2 large clove of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- juice and zest of 1/2 large or 1 small lemon
- Good handful of fresh Italian parsley, finely but roughly chopped
- ¾ cup (150 – 175 mls) vegetable oil
- First warm a grill to medium to high heat. I have a very handy pan that sits on stove.
- Place the slices of eggplant on the grill and cook for up to 3 minutes each side or until you can see the dark bands created by the heat of the grill. You may need to work in batches.
- In a shallow dish arrange the first batch in one even layer.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, parsley, garlic and lemon juice.
- Continue in this way until you have cooked all of the eggplant, finishing with the salt, parsley, garlic and lemon juice layer.
- Pour the oil over the eggplant 2/3rds of the way then gently press the slices of eggplant down into the oil.
- Pour more oil over the top, enough to cover the eggplant.
- Cover the dish with clingfilm and place in the fridge for up to 1 – 4 hours before serving.