How to make food processor pastry: Using a food processor is the most efficient way to produce a homemade pastry base. Here we show you how to make savory pastries and how to prepare it before adding the filling. This method to make a base of pastry fast, it works very well for making pies like quiche.
Ingredients to make about 300 grams
- 200g / 7 oz flour
- A pinch of salt
- 110g / 4 oz butter, cubed
- 2-3 tablespoons very cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Put the flour, butter and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Using only the pulse setting, pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and avoid over mixing, if you can.
- Through the funnel on the top of the processor, slowly add the water a tablespoon at a time until the mixture comes together in a ball.
- Pour the dough onto a clean, lightly floured surface.
- Lightly grease a baking pan and form the dough around the sides and the bottom of the pan.
- Chill the dough base for half an hour in the freezer to harden it. When you are ready, remove the dough from the freezer and prick the base with a fork in several places.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the base of pasta including the edges.
- Lightly scrunch the paper and place over the dough base then cover the base with dried beans, rice or lentils. This will help the dough to keep its shape.
- Remove the beans along with liner, then brush the base of the pastry all over with the egg.
- Place back in the oven for another 3 – 5 minutes or until it begins to brown a bit.
- Allow the dough base to cool before adding the filling.