Coconut and Lime Gluten Free Muffins: The combination of lime and coconut as ingredients always reminds me of the beach. Because I like to invent different muffins, I now have quite a collection and my lime and coconut has turned out to be quite a favourite.We started making our coconut and lime gluten free muffin at our bed and breakfast and were asked to make it over and over again. This is why it remains on our list of ‘best muffin recipes ever’.
Those of you who are gluten free will appreciate knowing that the best muffins we make are usually less plain and more flavourful. Afterall, if you have to have a restricted diet, why not really treat yourself by adding all your favourite ingredients. Using the zest from the lime helps gives these muffins a nice, deep flavour … and we’ll keep making it that way!
Makes 7 – 8 large muffin
- 60 grams (2 ounces) of potato starch
- 60 grams (2 ounces) of tapioca flour
- 80 grams (3 ounces) of rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 15 grams (3 teaspoons) of baking powder
- 2 grams (1/2 teaspoon) of xanthan gum
- 134 gr (5 ounces) sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 gr (0.4 cup) vegetable oil
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) of milk or yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 75 grams (2 1/2 ounces) of grated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 185C / 370F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl with the lime zest and grated coconut.
- In a measuring jug, gently mix all the wet ingredients with the lime juice with a fork for 30 seconds.
- Then pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and fold in gently to combine, for 1-2 minutes. If you mix the batter too much, you will notice that it will have the consistency of glue. If this happens your muffins will also have the consistency of glue. Therefore, carefully fold the batter to combine. Do not worry if the mixture is not homogeneous.
- Add a little ‘milk or flour if necessary. An extra 2 tablespoon of flour or milk will make no difference to the results.
- Fill the muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven for 17-18 minutes. To check the cooking time, slide a toothpick into one of the muffins and if it comes out dry
- Remove from the oven and allow the gluten free muffins to cool to room temperature before serving.