Oven-baked meatballs without bread or egg: We have prepared a lot of meatballs in our time and this recipe works for us. You don’t need breadcrumbs or egg to prepare these oven-baked meatballs.
In fact, you shouldn’t need breadcrumbs or egg at all.
This recipes forms the basis of all of our dishes using meatballs. Once these babies are cooked, allow them to cool and then you can freeze them, add them to your favourite sauces and do all sorts of things to them.
If the thought of liver puts you off, simply omit it. We put liver in ours because that is the traditional way of making them and they do taste a great deal better with it in. Also, the use of a food processor creates a more fine meatball and allows you to omit that egg and bread – which of course will make them gluten free.
Ingredients: Makes up to 40
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 2 oz chicken liver
- 2 tablespoon crushed, fresh garlic (or you could use garlic powder)
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 good handful fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 3 – 4 level teaspoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- In a food processor or large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients thoroughly.
- Line 1 – 2 baking trays with foil.
- Fry a little of the meat off so that you can taste it and check the seasoning before rolling the meat tightly into palm-sized balls and place on the baking trays.
- Place in the center of the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until browned, turning at least once.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
To freeze: arrange the cooled meatballs in one layer and place in the freezer until frozen. Store in freezer bags or freezer-proof containers. Allow up to 6 meatballs per serving.