Piemonte is in the north western part of Italy. The agnolotti is a classic first course of the Piedmontese tradition. These little ravioli-like pasta, can be ‘lean’ or ‘fat’ depending on their filling of vegetables or meat. Agnolotti are small pieces of rolled out pasta dough are folded over a filling of roasted meat or vegetables.
Agnolotti is the plural form of the Italian word agnolotto. According to legend, the origin of the name comes from a cook called Angiolino, or “Angelot”, an individual from Montferrat who is said to be the inventor of the recipe.
The type of dough prepared for the agnolotti depends on the filling. If you choose a ‘fat’ filling which is meaty, then the dough is made using flour, egg, water and butter. This combination creates a very soft and tasty dough.
Pasta dough for with butter – for agnolotti with meat
Makes 160 – 200 pieces
- 800 grams Tipo 00 flour
- 180 grams natural spring water
- 20 grams salted butter, at room temperature
- 4 medium to large eggs
- In a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and begin to mix with a fork.
- When the dough begins to form and it is difficult to continue with a fork, work with your hands.
- Gently bring the dough together. Once the dough is almost formed, turn it all out onto a clean work surface and continue to gently knead for up to 10 minutes.
If your dough is too dry after 5 minutes of kneading
- Spray water over the dough or your hands. Continue kneading, adding water as required, until the right consistency is achieved.
If your dough is too wet after 5 minutes of kneading
- Continue kneading and add more flour until the right consistency is achieved
- When the dough is formed, make into a ball and dust with flour. Tuck it into a Ziploc bag or cover in seran-wrap.
- Allow it to rest for up to 30 minutes before forming pasta sheets for agnolotti.
More recipes for pasta dough
- Eggless pasta dough with olive oil – for Cavatelli
- Egg pasta dough using wine – for Corzetti
- Everyday handmade egg pasta using tipo 00
- Fresh egg pasta the Italian way