Who can resist a colorful dish like this roasted beetroot spaghetti with ricotta. Just look at it!
Beetroot, also known as ‘beets’, are one of the most interesting vegetables. They have garnered a great deal of interest due to their amazing health benefits. Beets are loaded with vitamin C, B-6, iron and potassium and you can find out more The World Healthiest Foods.
We love the beets that grow at Rockledge Gardens, where they use organic growing methods and the fruits, vegetables and herbs available there, grow at their own pace. This means better flavor, texture and color. Perfect for making our beetroot flavored pastas and gnocchi.
So without further ado, add this recipe to your family favorites!
Roasted beetroot spaghetti with ricotta – Serves 4 – 6
- 500 grams Pasta Nostra beetroot spaghetti (special order if not in stock)
- 1 handful beetroot leaves, (stems included)
- 500 grams ricotta cheese
- 4 medium beetroots, topped and tailed
- 8 cloves granulated garlic, skins on
- 2 – 3 tablespoons Finest extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 – 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch salt and ground pepper
- 1 lemon, juice and grated peel
- 1 handful basil leaves, plus extra for serving
- 125 ml grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 125 ml warm water
- Preheat oven to 360ºC.
- Halve beetroots and place on a sheet of foil with garlic.
- Drizzle with a glug of olive oil and vinegar and season.
- Wrap in foil and roast for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove beetroot peels and squeeze out garlic pulp.
- Place in a blender with remaining ingredients and blitz until smooth.
- Season well.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- Add beetroot leaves 1 – 2 minutes before end of cooking time.
- Drain, reserving a little cooking liquid. Toss pasta and leaves with sauce.
- Crumble ricotta over pasta.
- Serve topped with grated parmesan.