Shrimp scampi antipasto: Shrimp fished around Ponza have a particularly bright colour and so make a wonderfully colourful addition to the table as a shrimp scampi antipasto.
Wander the fish markets around Ponza or any Mediterranean town and you will find an abundance of fresh fish. These markets are always busy as the Italians prize their fresh foods and what better dish can there be than one as fresh and simple as this shrimp scampi antipasto. Serve with some freshly cut lemon and a mix of dips.
Ingredients: Serves between 4 – 6 shrimp scampi as an antipasto
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 28 large shrimp (about 1.5 lb / 750 grams), deveined
- 3 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup Sauvignon Blanc or similar dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add the shrimp and saute for 1 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the wine, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for just 30 seconds.
- Add the parsley, lemon juice and zest and mix well.
- Cook for a further minute before serving with some fresh bread.