The best banana bread ever!: OH MY!! We love this bread and always have. If you don’t like walnuts you can substitute them for pecan nuts although you will get a completely different flavour. The honey gives it a wonderful sticky top!
The banana helps this bread (or should we call it cake) turn out moist and therefore very easy to eat! Banana and walnut bread is a great start to the day when eaten for breakfast or as a snack during the day. We have even served ours with some caramelized banana with walnuts and a huge dollop of vanilla ice cream. You know you’re going to give that a try! After all, just look at all those great ingredients that are good for your body and brain.
Ingredients: Serves up to 10
- 1 1/2 cups (200 grams) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) sugar
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 loaf pan 9 x 5 inches (22 x 12 cm)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the banana, flax seeds, sugar, honey, egg, oil and vanilla extract then add it to the flour mixture stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gently fold in the walnuts.
- Lightly grease the inside of the loaf pan and pour in the batter.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 45 – 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out and allow allowing the banana and walnut bread to cool on the rack some more.
- Serve warm or chilled.