The best Waldorf Salad is in our opinion, that made by you (or me). This is one of those recipes that we seem to easily forget all about until the apples start arriving at The Farm and our brain cells spring into action.
Did you know that Waldorf Salad is really low in carbohydrates! We didn’t know that so that, added to the wonderful textures and harmonious flavours in this salad, spurred us on to ensure that we shared it with you. In fact, we will be taking tubs of it to The Farm for as long as the apples are in season and we are on our low carbohydrate diet 🙂
We normally make our own curry powder but wanted to show you that this is one of those recipes in which the use of ready-made store bought curry powders are perfect.
Ingredients for 6 – 8
- 1 pint good mayonnaise (we always use Hellman’s)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 cups grapes, halved
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 4 medium apples (a crunchy apple like Braeburn), cored and diced to roughly the same size as your grapes and celery
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cranberries (raisins, sultanas or any of the dried berries are perfect)
- Once you have prepared all the fruits and vegetables, mix all of the ingredients together.
- SERVE! Or store, covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. You will need to give it a bit of a stir before serving to mix all those extra juices that may have been released.