Our very Italian Spaghetti pie is typically Napolitano and there are many variation on the theme. In face, in Naples and southern Italy, leftover spaghetti has become a very popular ‘street food’, coated in breadcrumbs and fried.
Whether you use leftover pasta or start completely afresh, this spaghetti and bacon pie is sure to become a family tradition!
- 1 pound The Big Dream Factory spaghetti italiano
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 large (10- to 12-ounce) red onion, finely chopped
- 1 container(s) (15-ounce) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups (2-percent) reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon(s) cayenne (ground red) pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat large covered saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti as label directs. Fresh pasta will take only a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 12 inch skillet, cook the bacon on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Add the onion to the fat in the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- While the onion cooks, in very large bowl, whisk the ricotta, eggs, milk, cayenne, half of Parmesan and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Drain spaghetti well. Stir into ricotta mixture along with the peas, bacon, and onion. Spread in even layer in 3-quart shallow baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes or until set.