Ingredients for butter bean and bacon soup: Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons Vallecorsa extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz (110 g) unsmoked bacon, derinded and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 4 oz sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 16 oz jar Pasta Nostra San Marzano (DOP) tomato sauce
- 1 16 oz can butter beans and juice
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 2 oz (50 g) salted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- 1 level teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium sized saucepan over a low to medium heat, warm the olive oil and cook the bacon for 5 minutes or until lightly crisp and golden. You will need to stir it from time to time to avoid it burning.
- Stir in the onion, celery and garlic then cook until the onion is translucent and not browning – about 5 minutes.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, tomato sauce then bring everything to a boil.
- Add the butter beans with juices if you are using the canned variety.
- Add the vegetable stock, butter and sage. Bring everything to a boil then reduce to a simmer and partially cover with a lid. At this point check the seasoning adding more salt and pepper if necessary then continue to simmer the soup for the next 20 – 30 minutes or until the beans are really tender.
- When the soup is cooked, add the cream, stir in and you are ready to serve your butter bean and bacon soup.