Bacon and butter bean soup
As we work diligently towards creating our own kitchen, we are already developing some new products. Bacon and butter bean soup is one of them.
With the onset of the holiday season, autumnal colors and a chill in the air (especially here in Florida), we can’t wait to get the ‘big girl’ pots out and create a hearty soup.
The amounts listed in the recipe are variable and you can also choose to omit the bacon for a vegetarian version. We have also made this adding leaves of spinach at the end – wonderful!
Ingredients for butter bean and bacon soup: Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons Vallecorsa extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz (110 g) unsmoked bacon, derinded and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 4 oz sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 16 oz jar Pasta Nostra San Marzano (DOP) tomato sauce
- 1 16 oz can butter beans and juice
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 2 oz (50 g) salted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- 1 level teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium sized saucepan over a low to medium heat, warm the olive oil and cook the bacon for 5 minutes or until lightly crisp and golden. You will need to stir it from time to time to avoid it burning.
- Stir in the onion, celery and garlic then cook until the onion is translucent and not browning – about 5 minutes.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, tomato sauce then bring everything to a boil.
- Add the butter beans with juices if you are using the canned variety.
- Add the vegetable stock, butter and sage. Bring everything to a boil then reduce to a simmer and partially cover with a lid. At this point check the seasoning adding more salt and pepper if necessary then continue to simmer the soup for the next 20 – 30 minutes or until the beans are really tender.
- When the soup is cooked, add the cream, stir in and you are ready to serve your butter bean and bacon soup.
(Visited 29 times, 1 visits today)