Orange and fresh fennel salad: When fennel is in season you will see it on tables all over Italy. Fennel has a light liquorice and anise flavour and goes really well with the orange in this very simple recipe for orange and fennel salad.
Serve along side fish, meat or as an appetizer dish.
The season for fennel in Italy is a long one. It can last from winter all the through to the spring and so the Italians have a lot of recipes for it. So while we were living in Italy, it was one of the first plants we had growing in our garden and quite frankly, we couldn’t get over just how well it grew.
It just so happened that the oranges were growing on the tree too, so it made perfect sense to combine them in this orange and fennel salad. Fabuloso!!
Orange and fresh fennel salad: Ingredients for 2 – 4
- 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, very thinly sliced
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 – 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Add the orange juice, zest and salt to the fennel (we also add any bits of the inside of the orange too)
- Mix to combine.
- Place on a serving dish, drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately