Simple smooth tomato Gazpacho
Simple smooth tomato gazpacho is a great way to use up those less than perfect but still tasty tomatoes, since they get whirled up in the food processor. Heirloom tomatoes are extremely juicy and therefore perfect for making this chilled soup.
There are many variations for gazpacho and this is a very simple version. Adding paprika or chilli pepper will liven up this recipe. It’s entirely up to you. The gazpacho served in Spain has a very strong flavor of garlic, which I love. Again, you can switch this recipe up to suit yourself.
Serve chilled for a refreshing start to any meal.
Simple smooth tomato gazpacho – Serves 4 – 6
- 3 lbs heirloom tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup cucumber, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups crusty bread, chopped
- Baby English cucumbers for garnishing
- Combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, garlic and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the vinegar, 1 tablespoon of oil and bread then toss to combine.
- Allow it to stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer half of the tomato mixture to a food processor. With the motor running, slowly add 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil and process until chunky for a rustic gazpacho, or puree for a smooth one.
- Transfer to a bowl then repeat with the remaining tomato mixture and 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil.
- Place in the fridge for up to 1 hour.
- Serve chilled and topped with the diced cucumber drizzled with a little oil.