Deep fried zucchini flowers: We were served these delicate, deep fried zucchini flowers at Hotel Ortensia on the little island of Ponza, Itay.
They were served alongside some deep fried calamari and each flower and calamari was coated in a very light batter which included Parmesan cheese. This addition gave a little something extra to the overall flavour experience.
Ingredients for deep fried zucchini flowers:
- 12 courgette flowers, trimmed
For the batter
- 350 g Tipo 00 flour (Swandown cake flour is an excellent substitute)
- 400 ml cold water
- A large pinch of salt
- 1 level tablespoon oregano
- 1 level tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- Mix together the flour, water and salt.
- Add enough water to get a consistency of single cream.
- Leave to rest for an hour in the fridge.
- Dip the flowers in the batter and deep fry until they are lightly browned.
- Drain on kitchen paper, season with salt and serve immediately.