Use our capers from Pantelleria, Italy, fresh lemon and wonderful local shrimp to create a salad dish with pickled shrimp that your guests will polish off very quickly. So it is just as well that this recipe is easy to prepare.
You can boil your own shrimp and add flavour to the boiling water for that extra special something that will make this recipe your own.
Italian-style pickled shrimp: Serves 6 – 8
- 2 pounds (1 kg) peeled, boiled shrimp2 tablespoon salted capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs (1 ounces / 30 grams) chopped pimento
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz / 120 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup (2 fl oz / 60 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium – small fresh bay leaf
- 1 level teaspoon sugar or honey
- Throw everything together, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours.
Adapted from: The Kitchn.com