Asparagus and three cheese muffins: A pretty innocuous little recipe you might think and of course you would be right unless you want to make a living in Florida, making them for the masses.
Here at The Big Dream Factory, with help from family and the unyielding support of all our foodies and pasta-peeps, we are taking our service to the next level. What does this have to do with a plate full of Asparagus and three cheese muffins, I hear you cry? Cheese!
We have been operating under Florida’s Cottage Food Law, working from home and this means that we cannot make anything that contains cheese. In fact, we cannot make anything that puts the health of you, our consumer, at risk. No cheese, no fish, no meat and in the near future no problem because on Monday we took a test for our Food Managers Certificate. This means that once we have jumped through a few more hoops, have our certificate and necessary licenses in our busy little hands, we will be using the TCS Foods commissary kitchen and expanding our product range! This could include all sorts of tasty treats with cheese: Asparagus and three cheese muffins, spinach and ricotta ravioli and our new fresh basil and cheese pasta currently going through it’s paces in our test kitchen.
Meanwhile, you will have to make your own Asparagus and three cheese muffins! Enzo has been out picking wild asparagus from the garden in Formia, Italy. We savoured every single one of them 🙂
Ingredients – Makes 8 – 9 large muffins
- 1.25 cups (10 oz / 240 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (0.5 oz / 15 grams) baking powder
- pinch of fine salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup (60 – 75 ml) whole milk, yogurt or even water. The important thing here is to reach the right consistency
- 1 cup Asparagus, blanched and roughly chopped
- 60 grams Parmesan cheese, grated
- 60 grams Goat’s cheese, roughly chopped
- 60 grams Cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 365 F / 185 C.
- Prepare your muffin tray. We use foil or baking parchment because you can shape it better and it will help avoid spills.
- In a large mixing bowl add all of the DRY ingredients and stir it all with a large spoon to combine well.
- In a jug, measure the oil and then add the 2 eggs then gently mix with a fork. There is no need to whip it.
- Pour the eggs and oil into the flour mix and stir with the spoon. The consistency will be a little thick.
- Add the asparagus, cheeses, garlic and parsley and stir in.
- Add the milk (water or yogurt) a little at a time until the batter has reached a thick, dollopy consistency.
- Pour the batter into a jug for easier handling and fill each of the muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Place in the center of the oven for 17 minutes (the time will depend on your oven).
- Run a skewer through a muffin and when it comes out dry, your muffins are ready.
- Allow then to cool and serve them warm.