Florida jam is an exotic confection perfect for Florida made with mango, bananas, coconut and a dash of white rum. Easy to prepare!
Why Florida Jam? Because it’s so easy to make and when all that fruit comes in, it’s a good idea to have a selection of recipes to deal with it all.
Florida Jam will take you about 30 – 40 minutes to prepare.
Florida Jam – about 10 – 14 small jars
- 5 – 6 cups ripe Mango, peeled, diced and blended to a smooth pulp
- 4 cups bananas – not too ripe, peeled and sliced into thin discs
- 1/2 cup grated coconut (optional)
- 6 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 and a half sachets of pectin
- 2 or 3 glasses of white Rum
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- Put the fruit, coconut and lemon juice in a tall pot.
Mix the pectin well with the sugar, add it to the fruit and bring it to a boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes on high heat, stirring constantly.
Remove the pot from the heat, add the rum to taste and mix for 1 minute, dissolving the foam.
- Evaluate the consistency of the jam as you go and when it has reached a thickness you like, then pour it into hot sterilized jars (the rule : hot sauce into hot jars)
Close tightly and invert for 5 minutes.