How to make a Florida fruit jam
Florida fruit jam is an exotic confection which makes the most of fruits grown in Florida such as mango and bananas. It also includes coconut for texture and a dash of white rum for added flavor. Above all, it is very easy to prepare!
Why Florida Jam? Because it’s so easy to make and when all that fruit comes in, it’s a good idea to have a selection of recipes to deal with it all.
Florida Jam will take you about 30 – 40 minutes to prepare.
Florida Jam – about 10 – 14 small jars
- 5 – 6 cups ripe Mango, peeled, diced and blended to a smooth pulp
- 4 cups bananas – not too ripe, peeled and sliced into thin discs
- 1/2 cup grated coconut (optional)
- 6 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 and a half sachets of pectin
- 2 or 3 glasses of white Rum
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- Put the fruit, coconut and lemon juice in a tall pot.
Mix the pectin well with the sugar, add it to the fruit and bring it to a boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes on high heat, stirring constantly.
Remove the pot from the heat, add the rum to taste and mix for 1 minute, dissolving the foam.
- Evaluate the consistency of the jam as you go and when it has reached a thickness you like, then pour it into hot sterilized jars (the rule : hot sauce into hot jars)
Close tightly and invert for 5 minutes.