How to make delicious lemon curd in 10 minutes
Delicious lemon curd in 10 minutes: Yes you really can make lemon curd in 10 minutes!
In England when I was young, lemon curd was a special treat since few people made it at home. We served it over hot buttered toast for breakfast and when the jar was empty we didn’t expect to see any more for a long time. It was so expensive to buy!
Now that I can make lemon curd in 10 minutes, I use it for all sorts of other recipes, pie fillings, muffins, creams and served with ricotta, it’s an absolute dream! Once you make lemon curd in 10 minutes, it will keep stored in a cool dark place for up to a month, if you can bare to leave it alone!
Lemon curd in 10 minutes
- 3 x1 lb (350 ml capacity) jars, sterilised (or 6 x 8oz)
- juice and zest of 4 large lemons
- 4 large fresh eggs
- 12 oz (350 grams) caster sugar (fine white sugar)
- 8 oz (225 grams) butter, diced and at room temperature
- 1 level dessert spoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- Prepare a bain marie: fill a saucepan 1/4 full with water. Bring the water to a simmer.
- Lightly whisk the eggs then add them to the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl then sit the mixing bowl over the water so that it just touches.
- Whisk continuously using a balloon whisk until the mixture thickens – about 7-8 minutes.
- Next, lower the heat to its minimum setting and allow to simmer for a further minute, continuing to whisk.
- Remove from the heat and pour the lemon curd into the hot, sterilised jars, filling them as full as possible.
- Cover immediately with waxed discs and lid while it is still hot.