Would you believe that my first experience of having a non traditional tiramisu was in Italy. This fresh strawberry tiramisu is amazing!
We had invited a huge crowd of family members to the house and asked them to bring their favourite buffet dish. It worked out brilliantly. We all preprepared our dishes and so were able to enjoy the whole day!
Strawberry tiramisu is a classic spring version of traditional tiramisu, where coffee gives way to the scent and sweetness of strawberries.
Fresh strawberry tiramisu – serves up to 6
- 400 grams fresh strawberries, plus 100 grams for decorating
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 100 ml water
- 100 mls limoncello or sweet liqueur of your choice
- 20 – 25 ladyfingers
For the cream:
- 2 fresh egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 250 grams mascarpone cheese
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Clean the strawberries and blend them then pour them into a saucepant together with the 2 tablespoons of sugar and 100 ml of water.
- Cook over a low heat until the strawberry syrup has thickened, taking car to mix it often to avoid sticking.
- Depending on your taste, you can add a glass of sweet liqueur to the syrup such as limoncello.
- Once the syrup is ready, remove it from the heat and let it cool completely.
- Prepare the cream by whipping the 2 egg yolks with 5 tablespoons of sugar and work until the yolks become light and frothy. Add the mascarpone and mix.
- Beat the two egg whites until stiff and fold them carefully into the cream. Leave the cream to cool in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Prepare to build the tiramisu: take an 8 inch square (or thereabouts) baking dish and make a first layer of ladyfingers. Dip the ladyfingers quickly into the syrup to soak them first then cover them with a layer of cream.
- Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers and pour more mascarpone cream up to two centimeters from the top of the baking dish.
- Create the cream topping by whipping the fresh cream with the icing sugar until it forms stiff peaks. Now you can decorate your tiramisu with the help of a piping bag.
- Take the strawberries you had set aside, clean them, cut them into 4 parts each and place them as a decoration on the surface of the cake.
- Store the strawberry tiramisu in the refrigerator until ready to serve.