Cannelloni is a great family dish that is easy to prepare and put together. Veal cannelloni is very popular during the winter months and also during the summer if you have large dishes and a large family coming to visit.
What is the difference between cannelloni and manicotti?
Cannelloni is often called manicotti. However, the two are very different. Cannelloni is made using fresh or dried pasta, while manicotti is made using a pancake like a crepe which is stuffed and formed into a roll, also referred to as ‘crespelle‘ in Italian.
ingredients for veal cannelloni – serves up to 6
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, about 5 to 6 cloves
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound fresh lasagna sheets or prepared manicotti shells (about 12 shells)
- 2 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground veal and saute until veal has browned. Add chopped spinach and let cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add 1 cup mozzarella and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 9-by 13-inch baking pan. Put a 4-inch-by-3-inch pasta sheet on cutting board. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of veal filling on pasta and roll into a tube. Repeat process with remaining sheets and filling. Place 3/4 cup tomato sauce in the bottom of the dish.
- Arrange the manicotti in the dish on top of sauce. Place remaining tomato sauce on manicotti and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella, grated Parmesan and chopped parsley.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese has melted.