Spaghetti alla carbonara: Carbonara is very simple to put together. From start to finish, you can expect to be cooking for only 10 minutes, which is just as well because for many years at The Depot Café in Florida, it was favourite. People would come in, sit down and order it when it wasn’t even on the menu!
Carbonara has and will remain, our go-to pasta dish.
Spaghetti alla Carbonara: Serves 4 – 6
- 600 grams (1.3 lb) spaghetti or bucatini
- 120 grams (4.25 ounces) guanciale (which is the meat from the cheek of the pig) or pancetta, rougly diced
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 2 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) mixed Parmesan and pecorino Romano cheees, grated
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1 level tablespoon ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- Cook the guanciale in a pan along with the whole peeled garlic clove and a little oil, until the guanciale is well coloured. Discard the garlic.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with a little of the cheese, salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, drain and add to the pan with the guanciale.
- Lower the heat to a minimum and add the egg mixture. Mix well as it cooks taking it off of the heat if necessary to avoid the egg setting.
- Remove from the heat and add the rest of the cheese.
- Mix again and serve immediately.