How to make a 2 ingredient vegan gnocchietti
2 ingredient vegan gnocchietti: Anna came for a short stay with us on the tiny island of Ponza, Italy, and shared with us her recipe for a quick and easy ‘vegan’ gnocchietti which look a lot like potato gnocchi. This is a recipe for a style of pasta which is shaped into gnocchi dumplings. However, the most interesting point about this recipe is the technique involved in making the dough.
This recipe has no potato or egg and therefore perfect as part of a vegetarian or vegan meal. It’s simply flour and water. Most importantly, it’s Italian, Pasta Nostra Tipo ’00’ flour which is available in stores.
Not available in a store near you then please contact us for details and let’s get you making great gnocchietti, gnocchi, biscotti and pasta!
Ingredients for 6 – 8 servings of Vegan Gnocchiette:
- 1 litre / 2 pints water
- 1 kg / 2 lb Tipo ’00’ flour
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and immediately stir in the flour.
- Mix until combined and turn it out onto a clean work surface (lightly floured if necessary)
- Knead the dough until smooth and firm – 3 – 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough and work in palm-sized portions, forming each portion into a rope about the thickness of a pencil.
- Cut each rope of dough into small, bite-sized pieces roughly half the length of your thumb.
- Hold a fork on the work surface and firmly roll each gnocchi over the fork. Lightly dust them in flour to avoid them sticking together.
- Lay out on a tray in one even layer and place them in the fridge until you are ready to use them. Alternatively, place them in the freezer in one even layer and when they are frozen, pop them into a bag or airtight container.
- To cook, bring a large pan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the vegan gnocchiette and when they float to the top, drain them and add them directly to your chosen sauce. Toss and serve!