The best crab cakes ever!: I have to confess that the first time I ever ate a crab cake was during a recent trip to Washington with my mother. Thanks to a local crab house, she became addicted to the best crab cakes I have ever tasted. We may not be able to recreate those particular crab cakes exactly but we are going to give it our best shot!
Serve your crab cakes with a nice Creole remoulade!
Ingredients for The best crab cakes – serves 4
- 3 tablespoons (75 grams) butter
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (118 mls) mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 lb (500 grams) fresh lump crab meat (white meat) drained
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter into a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add the bell pepper and onion. Saute for 4 – 6 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, egg, Old Bay seasoning, Worchestershire sauce and mustard.
- Add the crab meat very carefully to keep it as intact as possible and this will help made your crab cakes much more succulent.
- Shape the crab mix into 8 patties then cover and chill for 24 hours.
- melt 1/2 tablespoon butter with 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Cook 4 crab cakes at a time for 4 – 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain onto kitchen paper and repeat for the rest of the crab cakes.