Grilled swordfish steak the Italian way
Grilled swordfish steak: Swordfish are readily available around Ponza and you will often see it on menus as well as being delivered to you by your neighbours!
When the swordfish were being pulled in from the waters around the little Italian island of Ponza, our neighbour would deliver a pile of it nearly every day! So, we would take it to Ada at Sunset Village, Ponza because she knew exactly what to do with it.
We have to say that swordfish is potentially a very pungent fish – gamey. It is therefore better to prepare your grilled swordfish when it is very fresh indeed! We have experienced frozen prepared swordfish and it doesn’t even come close.
Grill your swordfish simply. No fuss, no muss!
Grilled swordfish steak: serves 4
- 4 swordfish steaks (about 200 g each)
- juice and zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 palmful Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, a generous amount of oregano, parsley and lemon zest to make the marinade.
- Season the marinade with salt and pepper.
- Marinate the swordfish for a couple of hours.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat the grill to its maximum heat.
- Grill the swordfish for a couple of minutes each side.
- When they are cooked, liberally drizzle them with extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve immediately.