Turkey sausage, mushroom and truffle lasagna: We are celebrating the highly adaptable lasagna! Today we will stuff it with turkey meat and mushrooms. Some of us would never ever eat turkey and others of us would never eat turkey unless it is Thanksgiving or Christmas. What a shame that is. Turkey is a very economical and tasty meat and we are going to show you how to turn it into lasagna. We have even made it easy for you and added a ready made tomato sauce and our black truffle paste.
It has just occurred to me that I have never eaten lasagna in Italy … I must find out why!
Ingredients: Serves 8 – 10
- 1 lb (500 grams) Italian-style turkey sausage, casings removed
- 26 ounces (750 mls) basil and tomato pasta suace
- 8 ounces (225 grams) mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons black truffle paste
- 32 ounces (900 grams) ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino cheese, grated
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1 lb (500 grams) lasagna sheets
- 16 ounces (450 grams) mozzarella cheese
- Cook the turkey sausage in a large, lightly oiled, nonstick frying pan over a medium to high heat for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Drain off the oil from the turkey and add the mushrooms and truffle paste to the pan then cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the pasta sauce and truffle paste then bring everything to the boil then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add the ricotta, Pecorino, egg and salt and stir to blend.
- Cook the lasagna sheets to al-dente, drain and run under cool water and leave to drain again.
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Lightly grease the baking tray then place in half of the turkey mixture in an even layer. Top this with half of the cheese mix and half of the mozzarella. Then place a single layer of lasagna sheets over the mozzarella. Repeat the layer one more time.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminium foil and place in the oven for 45 – 55 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook for a further 10 – 15 minutes until bubbly and browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow the lasagna to rest for 10 minutes before serving.