How to make baked orzo pasta with bacon and spinach
When we came across this recipe from The Ruby Spoon (see link below) for baked orzo pasta with bacon and spinach, we could see that it would be an instant hit at the dinner table. This recipe for baked orzo is like cooking a rice pudding.
Orzo are tiny pieces of pasta that are listed under the ‘pastina’ pastas, that look like grains of rice. This baked orzo with bacon and spinach is not quite a risotto but seems like one. We love it!
Here at The Big Dream Factory, we do make our own orzo by hand … yes, homemade pasta … and roll each tiny piece of orzo pasta between our fingers. We haven’t yet been able to share it with you at the market because it’s so darn precious, we tend to keep it to ourselves. Although, some of you did get to sample our painstakingly handmade orzo in some soup we made …. lucky you!!!
Baked orzo with bacon and spinach – Serves: 6
- 1 cup orzo
- 12 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 ½ pounds leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 8 ounces feta or Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the orzo until al dente. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until browned, 8 minutes. Add the leeks to the bacon and cook until tender, 8 minutes. Add the leek mixture to the orzo, leaving 1 tablespoon of fat in the skillet. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook until wilted; transfer to a colander and press out the excess liquid. Add the spinach to the orzo, fold in the feta and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the yogurt and milk, season with pepper and stir into the orzo. Scrape the mixture into an oiled 9 ½ inch baking dish and bake for 40- 45 minutes, until the eggs are set and the top is browned.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
FROM: The Ruby Spoon