Beet and pasta salad with fresh mint: Often we get an idea of a recipe from what we have around us, give it a go and often they work out just great.
This plate of beet and pasta salad turned out a lot more colourful than we expected. The reason for this is the use of fresh beetroot. Contrast that with the deep green of the fresh mint and you have what looks like a pasta salad for the Holidays!
NOTE: Beets are also known by the name ‘beetroot’.
Beet and pasta salad with fresh mint – serves 2 – 4
- 8 ounces . 250 grams Pasta Nostra Pipe rigati egg pasta
- 3 medium – large Rockledge Gardens beetroot, steamed, cooled, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup pickled silver skin onions, plus some of the pickle juice, cut them into quarters
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- Zest of 1 small to medium lemon
- 1/4 cup Vallecorsa extra virgin olive oil – available at The Farm at Rockledge Gardens
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green beans, blanched and diced
- 1/2 loosely packed cup Rockledge Gardens fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and run under cold, running water to stop it cooking further, then drain again. Toss the pasta in the olive oil and set aside.
- Take one of the beets and mash it with a fork. Then in a large mixing bowl, bring all of the ingredients together and combine well.
- Check the seasoning before covering and chilling in the fridge for up to 1 hour before serving.