Deliciously simple and refreshing breakfast grapefruit
We have been preparing this deliciously simple breakfast grapefruit for many years now. It is so simple, we thought that we should share it with you.
This is a great go-to breakfast treat for when you have guests. We have operated bed and breakfasts and hosted many people over the years and this is one of our breakfast offerings.
Grapefruit can be tart, but if you prepare them in this way and sprinkle them with sugar, leave them overnight in the fridge and they are prefect the next morning. The sugar will soak its way through the grapefruit and become crunchy on the top. A wonderful start to the day.
- Fresh grapefruit – any type will do
- Sugar, either brown or white
- Start preparing the grapefruit the day before.
- Slice the grapefruit through the middle, not from top to bottom. Carefully remove any pips and discard.
- With a small, sharp knife begin to make a small slice on each side of each segment from the center to the pith. Don’t be too fussy about it, if you miss one it won’t be the end of the world.
- Arrange the halves in individual serving dishes, sliced side up.
- Sprinkle each with sugar, about 2 teaspoons for each one.
- Place in the fridge, uncovered overnight and they will be ready for the following morning.