How to make an Italian fresh artichoke salad
Fresh artichoke salad: We had spent the morning with Nedda’s husband Franco, walking a little way along the Path of the Gods which winds around the Amalfi coast in Agerola, and had worked up an appetite. Which was just as well because aside from this fresh artichoke salad antipasto offering, Nedda was also preparing other wonderful things for the other 2 or 3 courses to come.
To recreate your dish of raw artichoke antipasto, you’ll need a few of the long artichokes, not the larger, round globe artichokes. Calculate 1 to 2 per person.
Fresh artichoke salad: Serves 4 – 6
Prepare a simple olive oil and lemon marinade in a jam jar:
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 level teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 6 – 8 Artichokes
- 1 deep bowl of chilled water and lemon juice, 1/2 and 1/2
- Freshly shaved Provolone – Nedda uses Provolone del Monaco D.O.P.
- Place the lid on the jar and give the marinade a good shake.
- Once you’ve prepared all of your artichokes and have them sitting in lemon water, drain them as dry as possible. Use a salad spinner if you have one.
- Slice the artichokes lengthwise, as thinly as you possibly can.
- Toss the slices of artichoke in the marinate making sure to coat all of them all over.
- Refrigerate them until you are ready to serve
- Serve your artichokes with freshly shaved Provolone cheese.