Gluten free orange and cranberry muffins – makes 7- 8 large muffin
- 60 grams (2 ounces) of potato starch
- 60 grams (2 ounces) of tapioca flour
- 80 grams (3 ounces) of rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 15 grams (3 teaspoons) of baking powder
- 2 g (1/2 teaspoon) of xanthan gum
- 134 gr (5 ounces) sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) vegetable oil
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) of milk or yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 oranges, juice and zest
- 75 grams (2 1/2 ounces) of dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 185C / 370F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl with the zest of oranges and cranberries.
- In a measuring jug, gently mix all the wet ingredients with the orange juice using a fork for 30 seconds.
- Then pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir gently down for 1-2 minutes. If you mix the batter too much, you will notice that it will have the consistency of glue. If this happens your muffins will also have the consistency of glue. Therefore, carefully fold the batter to combine. Do not worry if the mixture is not homogeneous.
- Add a little milk or flour if necessary. An extra 2 tablespoon of flour or milk will make no difference to the results.
- Fill the muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven for 17-18 minutes. To check the cooking time, run a toothpick through a muffin and if it comes out dry, the muffins are ready.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before serving.