How to make a garam masala curry spice blend: The Indian word ‘Masala’ means ‘mixed spices. The masala is the basis for Indian curries such as biryani, tikka and tikka masala.
Did you know that it is better to store all spices in small quantities because after time (up to 6 months), they will lose their flavour.
I worked with an old Indian doctor and she explained to me that Indian each Indian family has their own recipe for garam masala. This recipe will be passed down from mother to daughter on her wedding day.
NOTE: We have a small electric coffee grinder that is used exclusively for grinding dry spices. You could also do this using a pestle and mortar.
How to make a garam masala curry spice blend:
- 4 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger
- 6 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- a cinnamon stick
- 4 bay leaves.
- Place a heavy frying pan over a low heat.
- Add the ingredients then gently roast for 1 minute shaking to prevent them burning.
- Allow the spices to cool completely.
- Grind with the coffee grinder and store everything in an airtight container.