How to roast tomatoes on the vine for tomato sauce
How to roast tomatoes on the vine for tomato sauce: We are lucky enough to have access to some of the best tomatoes in our area. In fact, we set up our Farmer’s Market stand right next to the vines they grow on!
The tomatoes are filling out at this time of the year here in Florida and you can get your share of this bounty with a visit to The Farm at Rockledge Gardens where they are grown under organic conditions and this really does make a difference to their flavour.
Once we get our tomatoes into the kitchen, we don’t want to mess around with them too much when making our roasted vine tomato sauce and this little recipe has served us well over the years and is a great method of dealing with a lot of tomatoes all at once.
How to roast tomatoes on the vine for tomato sauce:
- Wash your tomatoes thoroughly.
- Arrange them in a baking tray in one single layer.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- Place in a preheated oven at 400F/200C, uncovered and cook for 1 hour or until the skins of your tomatoes begin to colour. Don’t panic if they look burnt, this actually adds to the flavour.
- Once they are cooked, remove the vines. Now you can do one of two things with them.
- Either puree them thoroughly in a food processor (we use our Ninja).
- Or, process them using a mouli.
We have used both methods for dealing with our roasting tomatoes but prefer using a food processor to ensure keeping all of the fibre, flavour and nutrients.
We use our sauce for all sorts of dishes such as our fresh pasta e fagioli and also for making other sauces like our very popular Puttanesca sauce.