Make your own blueberry liqueur
Making your own blueberry liqueur is a really easy and requires very little effort or time. We have made liqueurs this way for many years. It makes a great gift especially if you can fine nice fancy bottles. Small bottles will do so that you have enough to go around.
Check out our other easy to make liqueurs, including limoncello or our citronella liqueur which is made in a similar way.
For the best results, choose ripe, fresh berries that have not started to dry. These will give you a beautiful blue-colored liqueur. Avoid using frozen fruit as this will dilute the resulting flavor.
- 1 kg fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 liter 95 degree clear alcohol
- 700 grams white sugar
- 1.5 liters water
- Put the berries in large sealable jars and pour over the alcohol, close it firmly and put it in a dark, cool area. Don’t use plastic containers for this, glass or porcelain is perfect.
- Shake once a day and leave to infuse for at least 15-20 days.
- Once the infusion time has elapsed, prepare the syrup by dissolving the sugar in the water which will take just a few minutes, then let it cool thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, using a fine sieve, drain the alcohol from the berries. Don’t squash the berries as they will release tannin which will give your liqueur an unpleasant flavor. Leave them to drain over a bowl.
- Discard the berries and add the infused alcohol to the sugared water.
- Store in sterilized bottles.