Fresh fennel and orange is a popular Sicilian salad. It is made with blood oranges when they are in season, but navel oranges work just as well.
Fresh fennel and orange salad with olives – serves 6
- 3 small to medium oranges, blood oranges, navel oranges or clementines
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and finely sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup pitted black olives
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Peel and section the 3 oranges over a bowl to reserve the juice. Add more orange juice to equal 1/2 cup.
- In a large bowl, combine the orange segments, orange juice, fennel, onion, olives, olive oil and pepper.
- Cover and chill for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Serve with good crusty bread.