How to make a pork, potato and pepper risotto the Italian way
Pork, potato and pepper risotto: This recipe for pork, potato and pepper risotto was born out of a bunch of leftovers. When you cook with arborio rice, it takes as long to make it into Italian risotto as it does to boil. So you might just as well make risotto!! You will need to stand over and stir it but it will be worth the effort.
Pork, potato and pepper risotto: Serves 2 – 4
- 1 pork chop
- 4 small potatoes, diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oi
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced,
- 2 ounces butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Over a low to medium heat, in a large, deep frying pan, once the oil has warmed, add the oil with the potatoes, garlic and salt.
- Fry for up to 3 minutes or until the potatoes begin to brown.
- Add the fennel and rosemary and cook for a futher minute, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the wine and cook until reduced by half. Give it a taste – you should not taste alcohol.
- Check the seasoning then add the rice and stir to coat in all the juices.
- Cook until the fluid has been absorbed.
- Add the stock a little at a time and continue cooking until each amount of stock is absorbed into the rice. Don’t be tempted to add too much stock at once. You want the concentrated flavours to be well absorbed.
- When you have added up to half of the stock, add the peppers and check the seasoning.
- Continue cooking and adding the stock, stirring often. When you add the last of the stock and it has been absorbed until you see little bubbling holes on the top of the rice, dot it with the butter.
- Turn off the heat and place a lid over the pan.
- Leave your risotto while it steams itself cooked. The rice should be a little chewy and almost al-dente.
- Stir in the Parmesan just before serving.
(Visited 16 times, 1 visits today)