Risotto with fresh tomato and buffala mozzarella
Our recipe for risotto with fresh tomato and bufala mozzarella, combines the sharp, sweet and creamy flavours to this Italian comfort food.
Fresh bufala (buffalo) mozzarella is often called the “Queen of Mediterranean cuisine” due to its fine flavour and texture. It italy you will find it served on its own or with tomatoes in some form or other: Caprese salad, pizza margherita, to name a few. favor.
If bufala mozzarella is not available to you, try finding any fresh mozzarella at all and don’t be tempted to use the grated stuff you find in bags!
Risotto with fresh tomato and bufala mozzarella – Serves 4
- 2 ½ cups of arborio rice
- 1/2 golden onion
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1/2 glass of white wine
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Fresh basil
- up to 2/3rds cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large mozzarella di bufala
- Parmigiano Reggiano PDO
- Fine sea salt
- In a saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Prepare the tomatoes, cutting cross marks into the peel, dip them into the boiling broth for a few minutes. Remove them with a slotted spoon and let them cool.
- Peel and deseed the tomatoes and add the skins to the hot broth, to add flavor to it. Discard the seeds.
- Separately, in a wide, deep pan, heat 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, add the finely chopped onion and the rice. Cook over a medium to low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the white wine, the tomatoes already cut into small pieces and a ladle of hot vegetable broth. Stir well to combine. Season well with salt and pepper and continue adding the tomato broth and stirring until the rice is cooked. This can take up to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. Add a few fresh basil leaves and chopped mozzarella.