This versatile sweet flakey pastry is luxuriously rich because of the addition of cream cheese. Who would have thought it! Brilliant for lovers of sweet pies and pastries.
The cream cheese adds a richer, tangy undertone that beautifully compliments sweet fruit fillings. The dough seems easier to work with and it rolls out smoothly. The baked results are a tender but flakey, melt-in-the-mouth pastry.
Sweet flakey pastry with cream cheese – Servings: 1 x9 inch pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups Tipo 00 or Swans Down cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons water – ice cold
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a food processor.
- Add the cream cheese and pulse until combined.
- Add the butter and pulse until it is about the size of peas.
- Drizzle in the water and vinegar and pulse just until the dough comes together to form a ball – it should be moist but not wet.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and pat into a 1 inch thick disk.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling. If you dough is too cold to cooperate when you roll it, let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.