We first presented a dish of Cajun lamb as a special on our menu at The Crystal Palace, Bath. It became a firm favorite and so we decided to add it to our main menu.
As with many of the recipes we developed, this one is for the oven which means you can go on with other things. Very important if you have a lot of food preparation to achieve before opening time. Also, once completed, your Cajun lamb can be portioned and frozen.
This recipe perfect for taking advantage of all the wonderful fresh produce you can gather at your local farmer’s market.
Serve with Pasta Nostra USA handmade gnocchi.
Cajun Lamb – Serves 6 – 8
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 oz butter
- 2 bunches spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 red peppers, seeded and cubed
- 1 fresh green chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 16 loin of lamb chops
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan. Fry the onions and garlic over a low to medium heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the remaining vegetables and herbs then fry for a further 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon half of the vegetables into a large roasting tin. Add the seasoning and place the lamb over the vegetables in one layer. Then cover with the remaining vegetables.
- Cover the pan with foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the lamb to rest for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.