Fresh fig with prosciutto and mozzarella
Fresh fig with prosciutto and mozzarella: When it’s the season for figs, they seem to be hanging off of every tree. Even the birds can’t keep up with eating them so there are always a lot left over for you.
This little fresh fig, prosciutto and mozzarella antipasto was invented as a result of an over-abundance of figs in our Gaeta garden, Italy. It was a success and thankfully, very simple to put together.
Ingredients for fresh fig with prosciutto: Allow 2 – 3 figs per person
- Firstly, send Enzo into the garden with a large basket and hope that he comes back with fresh figs, warmed by the sun
- Fresh mozzarella
- Thin strips of prosciutto
- Fresh basil leaves
- Rinse, wash and dry the figs then cut a cross into the top of each fig, 2 thirds of the way into the fig.
- Stuff a little fresh mozzarella into each fig and wrap the base with a thin strip of prosciutto. The prosciutto will help keep the shape.
- Top with fresh basil leaves and serve.