How to make clafoutis – Cherry Pie
How to make Clafoutis: Clafoutis is an easy and elegant french dessert from the central region of Limousin. The origin of the name can be traced back to the Latin ‘clavum fingere‘ which means ‘to drive a nail‘, referring to the cherries which are planted in the dough.
Traditionally, the calfoutis is a cake made with whole, black cherries. The cherries are dipped into a dough similar to that of waffles and is made of flour, eggs, milk and sugar. According to purists, the secret to this delicious dessert, lies in the cherry pit. It is strongly recommended not to remove the pit in order to preserve the juice, flavor and nutrients of the fruit and avoid it bleeding into and compromising the batter.
Over time, several versions of clafoutis have appeared, so many in fact, that today it has become a dessert for all seasons. You can use all kinds of fresh fruit as long as it is firm and not release too much juice. Although purists will say that any clafoutis that is not prepared with cherries, cannot be called clafoutis but instead should be called ‘flognarde’. Some great examples of flognare would be: pear and chocolate, white grape, apple, nectarine, apricot, banana and even mixed fruit.
We would completely understand you not wishing to leave the pit in the fruit. However, try not to be tempted to make your clafoutis with canned fruits in syrup. Using fresh fruit is the best way to experience your clafoutis in as traditional and originally French way as possible.
How to make clafoutis – cherry pie: serves 6 – 8
- 500 g cherries
- 100 g sugar
- 100 g of flour
- 40 g salted butter, melted
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 25 cl of milk
- 20 g of salted butter (for the mold)
- 3 tbsp of sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F.
- Stem the cherries (and pit them if you choose).
- Butter a 9 – 10 inch round mold and arrange the cherries on the base.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs. Then add the flour and salt. Incorporate the melted butter. Then pour in the milk and stir to obtain a light and smooth paste. Pour the preparation over the cherries.
- Bake the clafoutis for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar as soon as you take it from the oven.
- Serve warm or cold.